Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Ouroboros

A few years ago I was having run ins with snakes.  This was unusual for me, as I assume it would be for anyone who doesn't live in the forest.  As it was, during that time, I indeed was living in the forest, in Costa Rica.  Seeing snakes there wasn't uncommon.  Being attacked by a snake there wouldn't be that uncommon either.  In my case, I was dreaming about snakes, crossing paths with snakes on trails and almost being attacked by a snake one time during a yoga class...inside.  That was a weird occurrence.
  I was laying in shavasana, receiving wisdom through my third eye while simultaneously relaxing it so that I could receive wisdom (or lesson my chance for self induced wrinkles).  I felt the teacher's presence near me, not because I have a really outrageous 6th sense, but because I could hear her feet creaking on the wood floor around where I was laying.  I tried to not pay attention as I was trying to not try to connect to the universe.  When she called us back to awareness we rolled over to our right sides and sat up, ending class with 3 ohms.  As I was rolling up my mat she came over to me and told me that a snake had somehow slithered it's way into the room during our last pose.  She spotted it as it made it's way toward my head.  She said that it came very close to me and reared up as if it attack.  She tried to scare it away, and that was why I was hearing all of the creaking on the floor around me.  Supposedly the snake stayed near my head, didn't attack, but didn't move away either, until on it's own time, when the teacher had surrendered to trying to make it leave, did it slither away into a crack in the molding (better get some caulk!)  She told me that maybe it was some kind of sign.
I talked to some other people about this occurrence, about my snake filled dreams and close encounters.  They all decided yes, it was some kind of sign.  One man went as far as to say that the snake must be my totum animal.  He carved a bracelet of a snake eating it's own tail (called the Ouroboros) and gave it to me to wear.  It was a heartfelt gift and I wore it with pride, until I broke it slamming my hand on a counter after too many Imperials (cerveza).
The Ouroboros signifies death and rebirth, infinity and wholeness.  Cycles.  Endings and beginnings.  Potentially something was dying inside of me during that 6th month stay in Costa Rica...only to have something else born in it's place.  I can see that now, a few years later.  I can see how many times that has happened in my life...in everyone's life.  Growth.  The difference is that the snake that eats it's own tail doesn't fight...it allows the cycle to flow through naturally without struggle.  As I reflect about this, it serves as a reminder to me to stop trying to receive wisdom through my third eye, to let wrinkles come as they will, and let this life be what it is.

The Ouroboros
the rhythms of this universal song pound with sweet reminisences of ultimate truths-sweat rumbles, waving and washing over the oneness, dripping down and splashing into out ocean as we dance with graceful ease and shine joy.  we are moving on our own, but our beats follow the same drum, our steps parallel, our reflections mirrored.  my sorrow is yours as your love is mine, we borrow, share, feed and bathe each other in this unending abundance of connection. heart opening and rising, bodies fade away but this circle lives on. i am full, complete, i am a dancer that moves with spirit, that follows the lead of unlocked wisdom, outpouring from the waterfalls, rivers and veins of this life.  to flow is to know love.  to know love is to live love.  to live love is to show love and share love and be love.  i am but an open servant to loves unblockable flood, i do not fight the current, because it flows through me and through you and with this it is true that we are love.  that you are me and I am you.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment